In the 13th century civil war was raging in England. Two English noblemen were involved in a conflict which became known as the War of the Roses. The Duke of York had as his emblem a white rose and the Earl of Lancaster had a red rose. Today the white rose is the official emblem of the county of Yorkshire and the red rose has been adopted by the neighboring county of Lancashire.
The David Brown Company had it’s tractor manufacturing plant located in the village of Meltham Mills in Yorkshire. In 1955 David Brown acquired the old established firm of Harrison, McGregor and Company who were located in the town of Leigh in Lancashire. Harrison, McGregor were manufacturers of farm implements, their trademark ‘Albion’was well respected throughout Britain and abroad. From 1955 to the late 1960’s a wide range of implements carried the name David Brown Albion and the rose badge integrated the two famous names.
The original rose badge is perhaps remembered best on the front of the Implematic range of tractors. Fortunately it is now being manufactured again after many years absence. A gleaming new badge really puts the finishing touch to a good tractor restoration.
During the Selectamatic era the rose badge was updated or modernised,with the roses given a new shape. Limited stocks of this newer rose badge are still available through Case/IH dealers.
A small number of ‘Commerative Edition’ 94 series Case/IH tractors had a rose badge fixed on a small plinth on their front nose cones.
Today The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd has permission from Case/IH to use the rose badge as their emblem. Dealers signs in the form of large rose badges, varying in size from 1 foot to 8 feet in width, are often on display at tractor rallies wherever David Brown tractors are on show.